Changes to the 2018 Regional Finals Process
The 2018 Regional Series will have 6 Regional Finals, one for each Region. These Regional Finals will be run by MultiGP and called by Joe Scully, taking the burden and stress off of the chapter organizers. The Regional Finals will all be scheduled out by taking the Region’s climates into consideration. Regions with warmer climates will have their Finals earlier in the Season. Northern Regions will have their Finals later in the Season. The top 100 pilots from each of the Regional Standings Lists will be invited to the Regional Finals. With a maximum of 100 pilots for each Final, the events will be larger and more exciting for all involved. The Regional Finals will also be multi-day events, to give enough time to hold the competition both fairly and efficiently.
National Championship Pilots
There will be a maximum of 151 pilots invited to the National Championship. These 151 spots are determined via 5 qualification methods:
- Defending Champion (1)
- Finalists (36)
- Contenders (36)
- The List (72)
- Golden Ticket (6)
Defending Champion (1)
The previous year’s champion will be invited to defend their title. This invitation allows the Champion to participate in the National Championship without attending any regional qualifier or final. Automatically advances to Fast 57 round.
The top 6 pilots from each regional final will be invited to participate in the National Championship. They will automatically advance to Fast 57 round.
Ranks 7-12 from each regional final will be invited to participate in the National Championship. These 36 pilots will compete with the List and Wildcard pilots for 20 advancing slots.
The List (72)
All the regional final participants ranked 12-100 at their respective regional final will be placed on The List. The top 72 pilots on The List will be invited to participate in the National Championship where they will compete with the Contenders and Wildcards in an on-site, best 2 of 3 rounds, race. The top 20 from this race will advance to the Fast 57 round.
WildCard Qualifier (6 pilots)
6 wildcard qualification slots for the Championship will be assigned to 6 sanctioned races throughout the year. These 6 slots will race with the pilots from The List and Contenders in an on-site, best 2 of 3 rounds race for the 20 advancing slots.
- June 9-10 Regional Final #1 – SW – Ventura County CA at the Open Grove Raceway
- June 30-July 1 Regional Final #2 – SE – Huntsville AL at the Space & Rocket Center
- July 21-22 Regional Final #3 NE – New Jersey
- June 22-24 Buffalo Bando Drone Racing – Wildcard #1 – New York
- July 12-15 Flite Fest Ohio – Wildcard #2 – Ohio
- August 8-12 International Open, No Regional Final – Wildcard #3
- August 18-19 Regional Final #4 NW – Seattle
- September 22-23 Regional Final #5 NC – Chicago
- October 13- 14 Regional Final #6 SC – Dallas
- November 1-4 AMA Expo West – Wildcard #4 – California
- November 1-4 Flite Fest Texas – Wildcard #5 – Texas
- 2018 MultiGP Drone Racing Championship – December 6-9